Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!

It has been excruciatingly hot here for what seems like eons.  It's only been a few weeks, but even the heartiest of souls at this point are crying "Uncle!"

One of joys of summer are the fresh fruits and vegetables that seem to be everywhere.  One of my clients is an avid gardener and has shared his bounty with my office the last year or so.  Last year, every time we turned around, he was bringing in another bag of tomatoes.  I decided to oven dry many of those last year and freeze them.  While the results were delicious, it warmed the house in the evenings for about a week.

When he brought me more tomatoes yesterday, I considered doing the same.  However, when I got in the car today and noticed the temperature was 104 degrees, I thought that running the oven for a long period of time at a low heat probably wasn't the best idea.

So what else to do with fresh tomatoes?  Why salsa of course!   So I pulled out my salsa recipe and made up a batch.  Unfortunately, I didn't buy any chips, so we'll have to wait to enjoy it til tomorrow, but it certainly smelled good!

FRESH SALSA
6 peeled fresh tomatoes (quartered)
2-3 seeded and cored jalapenos
1/2 seeded and cored green pepper
1/2 medium red onion (quartered)
1/2 c. fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp hot sauce

Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until just smooth.  Makes about 3 1/2 cups.  (This can be frozen for up to 3 months.)

No comments:

Post a Comment