Saturday, October 19, 2013

Tilting Windmills

Shortly before my 39th birthday, I did two things that seemed crazy\silly depending on my mood.  They were things I had thought about doing before, but never seriously.  But for some reason, in that moment, they made perfect sense.

One thing was putting in an application to be an extra in a movie.  This was, contrary to poplular belief, not because of my crush on Ben Affleck.  It was because at one point in time, I thought I had "it" - that non-tangible something that makes someone a star.  I remember watching Drew Barrymore in "E.T." And thinking, even at that young age "I could have played that part!"  I could memorize an entire script, stage directions and all, for community theater productions.  I was fearless - stage fright was not in my vocabulary.

And then I got to high school.

That is pretty much the end of that story.  But my love for film and theater, both the art and the craft, is abiding.  I feel my soul soar when a movie or stage production hits all the right notes.  I watch the Oscars to like it's my World Series.  So the idea of a long day, at minimum wage, doing the same scene over and over seemed right up my alley.

The other thing I did was register for a 5K.  My sister-in-law is a runner and in previous moments where I really thought I was finally going to get in shape, I have said to her "I want to do a 5K."  But I never really meant it and I was never ready for it and it never happened.

But this year, with my weight loss and my new exercise routine, I thought I was finally ready.  So I signed up to join her in the Pretty in Pink 5K.  If nothing else, I was making a donation in support of a good cause.

I admit, I didn't prepare as well as I should have.  I was nervous.  But when 8 a.m. rolled around this morning, I was there.  And while I didn't run the whole thing or even half, I did run some.  A year ago this was inconceivable.

I was never called for the movie (and I didn't stalk Ben Affleck, but if any of you reading this did and have pictures you'd like to share,I'll be happy to compensate you with cookies for them!)' but it was fun to dream about it again.

And after 48 minutes and 1 second, I crossed the finish line for my first 5K.  But I don't think it will be the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment