Thursday, February 2, 2017

Living By Example

I started writing about internet trolls and our culture of "Offense" but right now that seems trite.  Everything swirling around seems trite.

A local family just suffered an incredible loss.  A young father, younger than myself, has left this life after a valiant two year battle with brain cancer.  It struck, as cancer often does, from out of nowhere and has left sadness and emptiness in it's wake.

We are not particularly close with this family, but our children have known each other most of their young lives.  They went to the same babysitter for many years and now, with school and basketball, our paths occasionally cross.

I don't claim to know what they were thinking or feeling, but for those of us watching from the outside, they set an amazing example of strength.  I have never seen Mom without a smile on her face and never heard a negative word out of her mouth.  Their kids remain two of the nicest kids I know.  And til the end, Dad was out supporting those kids at basketball games and Daddy Daughter dances.  It was incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

I don't have any words that would mean anything at this moment.  Their loss is beyond anything I have ever experienced in my life.  And talking about how it makes me feel is wrong - this is not my grief.

But, whether they knew it or not, their example had an impact.  I noticed - we all did.  If we all faced adversity with half of their grace and dignity, the world would be a vastly different place.

This family will be in my prayers in the weeks and months to come as they have this unwanted new normal to adjust to.  Their example will remain in my heart for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment