Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sporty Calves

I love shoes.  All shoes.  But in particular, I love boots.  Combat boots, riding boots, sexy over the knee boots - I love them all!

Five years ago, I decided it was time to replace some of my old boots,  My Mom offered to buy me a pair for my birthday.  So off we went to enjoy our favorite mother/daughter bonding exercise - shoe shopping!

Unfortunately, this was not the happy fun time it usually was.  See, it appears the weight I had put on after having two kids and not really paying much attention to my eating habits had caused me to have what the fashion industry had dubbed "sporty calves".

I had never heard that term before and since I had never played more than one game of softball outside of gym class in my life, I had to only assume that sporty = fat.

My legs were too fat for regular boots.

After a few tears and a glass of wine, I accepted this and we did find some boots.  My Mom felt so bad about the experience that she actually bought me a pair in black and one in brown that fit my "sporty calves".

This experience is one of the things that drove me to loose 40 lbs. four years ago.   I remember going into Charlotte Russe, anxiously pulling on a pair of spike heeled mid-calf boots and feeling giddy that not only did the fit properly, they were loose enough for me to put them over my jeans!

Apparently, I did not learn my lesson.

I have gained back 20 lbs. of what I lost.  And when I went to replace my black boots this year, I bought two pairs before I finally accepted the truth - the sporty calves are back.

I am not happy about this.  But I needed boots, so I went ahead and swallowed my pride and bought wide calf boots.

I inadvertently bought ones that look a lot like ones I had in high school (the chain was not so prominent in the pictures online).  Ones that made me feel strong and sassy when I wore them.  Ones that gave me a swagger when I walked.  Maybe they'll help me find that swagger back and slim down these sporty calves once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment