Monday, March 16, 2009

Does This Child Look Sick to You?

There has been an unwelcome visitor in our home for the last eight days. A stomach bug of unknown origins took up residence here starting last Sunday and for the past week, one of us has been sick. First, it was Finn. Then, it was me. By Saturday morning, Elwood had finally fallen. He got the worst of it - not to be too graphic but for a while it was coming out of both ends. He spent most of Sunday sleeping, but around 5 p.m., he perked up, asked for food, and seemed to be on the mend. Which led us to the debate every parent dreads - is he well enough to go back to the baby sitter? He hadn't thrown up in over 24 hours by that point and he was starting to eat and drink. Having used almost 2 days of sick time last week, I wanted to try and send him. I knew he'd be tired, but I hoped he would take it easy and that we would be okay.

Why, oh why, did I think a 3 year old would take it easy? He over did it and threw up this afternoon. I know that's all it was - not a relapse. But now, we have to figure out what to do tomorrow. With no fever and no outward signs of being sick, do I send him back and risk being "The Mom Who Sent Her Sick Kid" or do I stay home or see if Grandma & Papaw can watch him and become "The Crazy Over Cautious Mom" (which, is what I tend towards anyways)? I guess we'll wait and see how the rest of the night goes.

In the meantime, I ask - does that kid look sick to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment