Saturday, March 21, 2009

My First Kid

Long before I became a mom, I was a big sister - twice over actually. My brother Patrick and I were contemporaries. With two years separating us, we spent most of our time fighting. We have become friends as adults, but those teen years were tough. But Dominic, 10 1/2 years my junior, was different.

I call him my "first kid". He calls me his "unwed teenage mother" (for the record, neither of our parents find that amusing.) Dominic and I spent a lot of time together from the time he was born until he became a surly, independent teenager. And even after that, we still hung out from time to time. Not all of it was idyllic, Disney movie, sweetness and light.   There were plenty of times I wanted to throttle him.  But, I still have many wonderful memories of my baby brother. Like the Halloween that I made us Bill and Ted costumes. He was Bill S. Preston, Esq. and I was Ted "Theodore" Logan. Or the Bill Clinton rally I dragged him to where he almost passed out from heat stroke and also got a great picture of President Clinton with his disposable camera.

He turns 24 today. He celebrates his birthday while serving his second tour in Afghanistan. He isn't a kid anymore, but he will always be Baby Bro to me. I knew him when he was the same age as my boys are now. I cuddled with him as I cuddle with them now. I watched him sleep as I watch them sleep now. He was my first kid.

Happy Birthday Baby Bro! Stay safe and keep your a** down!


No comments:

Post a Comment