Thursday, January 19, 2017

Hail to the Chief Sausage Maker

I have always been awed by the peaceful exchange of power that occurs every four to eight years.  It is something that fills me with pride.

I am still fiercely proud of this as we face the inauguration of a new President tomorrow.  But I am also fearful.

My fear and trepidation comes from many sources.  I don't agree with many positions our incoming President and his cabinet appointees have taken. Some seem down right dangerous in my opinion.

But the thing that has bothered me from the minute he won the Republican nomination is his lack of understanding of how to govern.

There is an old saying: "Law and sausages are the two things you don't want to see being made."

Eating sausage is vastly different than making sausage.

Following the laws is vastly different than making them.

Now, I know that there is the argument that because his businesses deal with government regulations the President Elect understands how government works.

No, he does not.

He knows how to manipulate the laws.  He knows how to get around the laws.  He knows what , happens when he is caught breaking the laws.  Heck, occasionally, he even knows how to follow the laws.

That doesn't me that he knows how to make them.

I do not believe that our new President understands that he is not an autocrat.  He can not say "I am going to build a wall" and *POOF* there's a wall.  He can not say "We're not going to participate in NATO" and *POOF* we're out, consequence free.

He does not understand that the world does not revolve around him.  Maybe everything in Trump Tower did but now everything revolves around our great nation.  The Trump Brand, Saturday Night Live, CNN - these are distractions from what should be the President Elect's main focus - us.

Please know that: 1) I accept that tomorrow, Donald J. Trump will legitimately become the 45th President of the United States 2) I want nothing more than to have all of my fears and concerns to be proven wrong 3) I love my country and pray for it's success and prosperity regardless of who is leading it.

Donald Trump has four years to show us what he is made of - hopefully, it's not what we have already seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment